Latest From All Groups

View:   Faces | List | By Group
ALSC School Age Programs and Service Committee (Association for Library Service to Children)

Online Doc December 22 2017 SAPS Meeting

by Cristina Mitra on Tue, Jan 16, 2018 at 06:05 pm

aforrester [8:52 AM]
Hi SAPS friends, Cristina won't be able to make our meeting, so she asked me to facilitate. She shared some notes with me, and we have her stellar agenda to work from. I'm confident we can get a lot done today :slightly_smiling_face:

aforrester [8:53 AM]
shared this file
SAPS December 2017 Meeting Agenda.docx
Word Document from Google Drive
Click to open in Google Drive
Add Comment

anewman [8:54 AM]
Hi Amy

aforrester [8:54 AM]
Hi Alexa

Evan [8:55 AM]
Hey Y'all.

aforrester [8:52 AM]
Hi SAPS friends, Cristina won't be able to make our meeting, so she asked me to facilitate. She shared some notes with me, and we have her stellar agenda to work from. I'm confident we can get a lot done today :slightly_smiling_face:

aforrester [8:53 AM]
shared this file
SAPS December 2017 Meeting Agenda.docx
Word Document from Google Drive
Click to open in Google Drive
Add Comment

anewman [8:54 AM]
Hi Amy

aforrester [8:54 AM]
Hi Alexa

Evan [8:55 AM]
Hey Y'all.

aforrester [8:55 AM]
Welcome, Evan! Nice to meet you.

dave [8:55 AM]
Hey everybody!

Evan [8:55 AM]
Nice to be here. :slightly_smiling_face: This is my first time using slack. Assume I know nothing.

aforrester [8:56 AM]
I'm sure you'll catch on in no time. In the meantime, feel free to holler if something doesn't make sense. :slightly_smiling_face:

[8:56]
Hi Dave!

[8:58]
While we're waiting for the others to join us, feel free to share something you're working on, whether in libraryland or beyond.

anewman [8:58 AM]
Welcome aboard, Evan.  Hi Dave!

Evan [8:58 AM]
Hey Alexa!

hmthompson [8:59 AM]
Hello!

aforrester [8:59 AM]
Hi Heather!

anewman [9:00 AM]
I'm prepping for Winter Reading program,  soliciting prizes from local businesses;  starting planning for summer Drama Camp; ditto for Teaching Garden and Junior Master Gardeners; writing a few grants for community partnership programs; and preparing for our move to our new digs -- first phase of construction is slated to be completed mid Feb  ..... so just the same old, same old.

aforrester [9:01 AM]
Tis the season for planning, isn't it?

[9:01]
I'm prepping to lead our mock discussions in Feb, so I know the feeling!

dave [9:02 AM]
I am always impressed by what the public libraries are able to do..and how much work goes into it!

anewman [9:02 AM]
definitely!   how fun -- That's something we've never tried here.  Would love to talk about it at midwinter.

aforrester [9:02 AM]
One of my favorite events of the year, we can definitely chat at midwinter :slightly_smiling_face:

anewman [9:02 AM]
Thanks, Dave.  I'm equally impressed by how school libraries accomplish so much with so little.

Evan [9:03 AM]
Summer Drama Camp sounds intriguing

aforrester [9:03 AM]
Let's go ahead and get started. I know Susie has to teach, so she can't make it. Not sure about Lisa and Anthony, but hopefully they'll join us soon.

anewman [9:04 AM]
It is! :grinning:   Check out the fall issue of Children and Libraries -- I wrote an article.

aforrester [9:04 AM]
First of all, please give a hearty welcome to Evan Bush, our newest committee member! Welcome, Evan!

hmthompson [9:04 AM]
Heyyyyy!

Evan [9:04 AM]
Thank you. Glad to be here. :slightly_smiling_face:

dave [9:04 AM]
Oh, wow, Alexa!  I have it right here on my desk!

anewman [9:04 AM]
Welcome!!!

aforrester [9:05 AM]
We're super excited to have you on the team, Evan. Please feel free to jump in with questions if something is confusing, I know how tough it can be to join the committee while we're in mid-project

Evan [9:06 AM]
Will do!

aforrester [9:06 AM]
Also, Evan is in need of a blog post slot. Anyone interested in giving him yours?

aforrester [9:06 AM]
shared cristinalibrarian’s file
ALSC SAPS Blog schedule_18
Document from Google Drive
Click to open in Google Drive
Add Comment

dave [9:06 AM]
He can have mine.

[9:06]
I just did one last month

Evan [9:07 AM]
May 26th?

aforrester [9:07 AM]
Thanks, Dave.

dave [9:08 AM]
May is a budy month, project wise, and I can write about genrefication in the fall.

[9:08]
busy

Evan [9:08 AM]
Sounds good!

dave [9:08 AM]
Thank you, Evan!

aforrester [9:08 AM]
Wonderful, I've gone ahead and updated the schedule

Evan [9:08 AM]
And the topic is for me to decide?

dave [9:08 AM]
Yes

aforrester [9:08 AM]
Yes, anything related to SAPS is up for grabs.

Evan [9:08 AM]
Excellent!

[9:09]
What are the ages or grades covered by School-Age? K-5?

aforrester [9:09 AM]
There's info linked at the top of the doc and Cristina generally sends an email reminder about your deadline

[9:09]
Hmmm, good question. Feel free to chime in, team.

[9:09]
I'd say K-5 or K-6

[9:10]
especially since we're working on a maker toolkit for tweens

Evan [9:10 AM]
That makes sense.

hmthompson [9:10 AM]
I would agree with that age range.

anewman [9:10 AM]
I'd say K-8 for age/grade .... that tends to be the levels for ys in my region

Evan [9:11 AM]
We usually do Pre-K-5, but going higher is great.

aforrester [9:11 AM]
ALSC tends to cover 0-14, so you're probably on target, Alexa.

dave [9:11 AM]
I am in a 5-8 school

[9:11]
grades, soory

[9:11]
sorry

aforrester [9:11 AM]
And you can focus on a particular segment of grades for your post, too

[9:12]
Awesome, let's move to looking at the toolkit now

aforrester [9:12 AM]
shared cristinalibrarian’s file
SAPS Maker Toolkit v4
Document from Google Drive
Click to open in Google Drive
Add Comment

aforrester [9:12 AM]
Gah, sorry, wrong one

aforrester [9:13 AM]
shared this file
SAPS Maker Toolkit v5
Document from Google Drive
Click to open in Google Drive
Add Comment

aforrester [9:13 AM]
Here we go, this is the most current version.

[9:13]
Evan, has Cristina given you any context on the toolkit?

Evan [9:15 AM]
a little

aforrester [9:15 AM]
The toolkit is something we've been working on for 2 years now. Our collective goal: Have our content mainly complete by MidWinter and focus that meeting on the other elements of the toolkit, such as introductory text, thinking about graphics, layouts, tags, etc.

[9:15]
Oh good :slightly_smiling_face:

Evan [9:15 AM]
a wordpress blog that is searchable for maker activities

aforrester [9:16 AM]
Yes, at our last meeting we all really loved the idea of a wordpress blog

[9:16]
Cristina hasn't gotten anymore info from ALSC yet about support for graphics or how a wordpress could take shape

[9:16]
However, we can still get a lot done today on the content

[9:17]
I'm thinking each team can share out their status on their section, as well as any questions around activities, resources, or interviews.

[9:17]
Then we can spend some time talking about interviews and standardized questions for those

[9:18]
As a reminder, our action items from last meeting:
Streamline each section to just 3 activities per category
Tighten up the activity options to be brief (include links whenever possible)
Flesh out resources/tools
Decide which sections need interviews
Decide which sections might need to be deleted

[9:19]
Alexa, do you want to get us started for the Hardware Team?

anewman [9:19 AM]
sure

aforrester [9:19 AM]
Hi Lisa! :slightly_smiling_face:

lisakimno [9:19 AM]
Hi!

anewman [9:19 AM]
Cristina and I still need to meet and get down to the nitty gritty --  we haven't coordinated yet,  so there hasn't been a lot of progress.

[9:20]
That said,  we are working with robots  and sewing.

aforrester [9:20 AM]
Evan, Cristina was thinking you might be able to jump on the Hardware Team with her and Alexa. Does that sound like it might work for you?

anewman [9:20 AM]
That would be great!!!!

Evan [9:21 AM]
That would be great! I'm down with sewing robots. :wink:

aforrester [9:21 AM]
Fantastic!

anewman [9:21 AM]
I think that interviewing a librarian who uses some of the different techs we've highlighted might be interesting.

[9:22]
Otherwise,  we just need to create a task list and timeline to flesh out our areas.

aforrester [9:22 AM]
I agree, that would be great. Are you thinking of interviewing librarians who've done specific programs or worked with specific tech (or both?

Evan [9:22 AM]
We have a pretty good one at our library. She's worked with a lot of the things on the list.

anewman [9:23 AM]
Yes ...  there is a networking group in the Chicago area  that  meets regularly to share and introduce tech.

[9:23]
our YS technology librarian was an officer for a while.

lisakimno [9:23 AM]
I curated this pinterest page of activities with tech if any of the resources are helpful. https://www.pinterest.com/technologylendinglibrary/ we have a new Technology Lending Library so I've been working with the tech on that page
Pinterest
Technology Lending Library (technologylendinglibrary)
See what Technology Lending Library (technologylendinglibrary) has discovered on Pinterest, the world's biggest collection of everybody's favorite things.
 
 

aforrester [9:23 AM]
Sounds like there are several options for interviews, that's great!

anewman [9:24 AM]
That's awesome, Lisa -- a lending tech library!!!

[9:24]
love it!

aforrester [9:24 AM]
Are there any other specific questions you have about the Hardware section?

Evan [9:24 AM]
That's fantastic.

anewman [9:25 AM]
no -- we just need to get moving on it.

Evan [9:25 AM]
Let me know how and when I can help. :slightly_smiling_face:

aforrester [9:25 AM]
Cool cool. I'll leave it to the three of you to work on the action items Cristina set for us. I'll recap them in the meeting notes email.

[9:25]
Heather, would you like to share out about our Video Team section?

hmthompson [9:26 AM]
Sure.

[9:27]
So, the video team has many components--both literal video stuff like making book trailers, and tangentially related things like Harry Potter/wizard activites, anime, and other fandom maker-type stuff.

[9:28]
We need a few interviews, but are hoping that someone in the group might have experience with these programs so that we don't need to look outside:

[9:28]
-DSLR Photography

[9:28]
-Green screen programs

[9:29]
-Movie/Book Posters

[9:29]
And I think that's it, because Amy has other interviewees at Denver PL ready.

anewman [9:29 AM]
We just tried green screen as staff for the first time last week.  I can ask my coworkers about it.

aforrester [9:29 AM]
Thanks, Heather. That's a great recap :slightly_smiling_face:

[9:30]
That would be great, Alexa. Thanks!

[9:30]
Overall, I feel like we have fleshed out the activities, resources, and tools quite nicely, it's just the interviews really.

hmthompson [9:30 AM]
Agreed

aforrester [9:31 AM]
If anyone else has leads on people to interview, let us know.

[9:31]
It looks like we might have to skip the Talk Team section, as Anthony and Susie aren't here to report out.

[9:32]
So let's skip over to Gaming. Dave and Lisa?

dave [9:32 AM]
Let's see...

[9:32]
Lisa and I edited our section on gaming to conform to the formatting we decided

lisakimno [9:33 AM]
I think we're in a similar boat, just missing the interviews!

dave [9:33 AM]
Yes, I have a fellow librarian I am going to interview who runs an after school minecraft club

[9:34]
One of my colleagues here in my school district

aforrester [9:35 AM]
I've just added a section at the top of the toolkit for us to add the types of interviews we need

[9:35]
Go ahead and add your interview needs as you identify them.

[9:35]
If one of us has a lead on an interview, we can then comment with info

hmthompson [9:36 AM]
that's a good idea

aforrester [9:37 AM]
If there are things we can't cover with our hive mind, I'm sure Cristina will have some insight on the best way for us to reach out as a committee. I'll make a note to ask her.

Evan [9:37 AM]
We've done stop-motion monster movies this past October if that's any help to anyone on the video team.

aforrester [9:38 AM]
Thanks, Evan! that sounds like an awesome program and perfect for an interview.

[9:39]
I've also just added the questions Dave and Lisa came up with for interviews.

[9:39]
Does anyone have any feedback on the questions? Anything we'd like to tweak or add?

[9:39]
*Added the questions at the top of the toolkit

dave [9:40 AM]
There was also the question about goals that you suggested, Amy.

[9:40]
I am assuming you added it in?

aforrester [9:40 AM]
Yep, just tweaked it a bit to match your wording and added it at the end. :slightly_smiling_face:

dave [9:41 AM]
:+1:

Evan [9:41 AM]
Could I suggest a question regarding what books might connect to each particular activity?

aforrester [9:42 AM]
Great idea! Want to wordsmith something and add it to the list, Evan?

Evan [9:42 AM]
Absolutely!

aforrester [9:43 AM]
Cristina has a note on the agenda to look at next steps

[9:44]
If we feel the questions are good, perhaps we should start reaching out for interviews between now and the next meeting.

[9:45]
That way we can discuss any gaps at the next meeting and Cristina can help us figure out how to fill them from the greater ALSC population.

hmthompson [9:45 AM]
Sounds like a good plan

aforrester [9:45 AM]
Perhaps we can each shoot to have at least 2 interviews per team in the works by the next meeting?

[9:46]
More if we're able, but at least 2 to get the ball rolling?

lisakimno [9:46 AM]
that sounds doable

anewman [9:46 AM]
are we planning to have an interview for every section?

Evan [9:46 AM]
Is there a length we're looking for in the interviews?

aforrester [9:46 AM]
Good question. We haven't really talked about the final format of the interviews yet.

[9:46]
I'm not sure if they'll be in Q&A format or more of a summary.

[9:47]
For now, let's plan on collecting interview answers and then we can chat with Cristina at the next meeting about format

anewman [9:47 AM]
I was picturing them as feature boxes -- and scattered around the toolkit -- not necessarily every section.

aforrester [9:48 AM]
I was picturing something similar, but I think it may depend on the format of the final toolkit too (wordpress, something else, etc.)

[9:49]
Anymore questions or concerns on the toolkit or interview questions?

hmthompson [9:50 AM]
not from me

aforrester [9:50 AM]
Okie doke, if there's nothing else let's move on to our Midwinter check in.

[9:51]
Our meeting will be at the ALSC All-Committee Meeting, Embassy Suites, Crestone Ballroom
on Sunday, Feb. 11 th , 8:30am-11:30am

Evan [9:51 AM]
I'll be there. :slightly_smiling_face:

aforrester [9:51 AM]
Can everyone just let me know if they're planning to be there or not?

anewman [9:51 AM]
I'll be there.

hmthompson [9:51 AM]
I'll be there, but I have to leave early because I have a presentation at 10:30.

lisakimno [9:52 AM]
I can't be there :sweat:

aforrester [9:52 AM]
I'll make a note of that for Cristina. What are you presenting on Heather?

[9:52]
We'll miss you Lisa!

lisakimno [9:52 AM]
Rural library life
 

dave [9:53 AM]
I have to check.

[9:53]
BFYA might be meeting at the same time

aforrester [9:53 AM]
BFYA?

dave [9:53 AM]
Best Fiction for Young Adults.

[9:53]
My YALSA committee

aforrester [9:53 AM]
gotcha

[9:53]
Ok, when you find out, just shoot Cristina an email.

dave [9:54 AM]
I will do that

hmthompson [9:54 AM]
"Confidence and Facilitation is Key; Infusing Technology into Youth Programs" -- it's with other students and professors from the University of Maryland's Youth Experience program

aforrester [9:54 AM]
That sounds fascinating, Heather! I wish we didn't have to go to a meeting so we could be there to cheer you on!

hmthompson [9:55 AM]
Thanks. :slightly_smiling_face: I have three things going on at Midwinter and they're all scheduled for Sunday!

aforrester [9:55 AM]
Whew! That'll be a whirlwind for sure.

[9:55]
Any other questions or thoughts about Midwinter?

[9:56]
The final thing on the agenda is: What are you looking forward to in your library in 2018?

anewman [9:57 AM]
Completion of our building expansion --  all the new spaces, etc.  It's gonna be so cool!

Evan [9:57 AM]
Beginning renovation plans for our children's area :slightly_smiling_face:

lisakimno [9:57 AM]
Parent workshops and hammering out who does what! we have a new youth librarian - so 2 full time youth librarians - for the first time in ever!

aforrester [9:57 AM]
Oooo lots of renovations in the new year!

hmthompson [9:57 AM]
I'm planning to go to this 2-day "Kidding Around Yoga" training thing in January, which means I can offer some yoga classes for free at the library! https://okay.kiddingaroundyoga.com/trainings/madison-wi-training/
Online Kidding Around Yoga
Madison, WI Training - Online Kidding Around Yoga
Join Marcie Robinson in Madison, WI for a kids yoga teacher training with Kidding Around Yoga.
 

aforrester [9:57 AM]
Wow, congrats on the additional librarian!

Evan [9:57 AM]
That sounds awesome Heather. I teach yoga at the library. Love it. :slightly_smiling_face:

anewman [9:58 AM]
are you a yoga teacher, Heather?  I'm just starting to research / pick out a school for my 200

hmthompson [9:59 AM]
Nope! This program only certifies you (not fully registers) to teach kids yoga. It seems more like silly storytime-type yoga than anything strenuous.

anewman [9:59 AM]
you an instructor too, Evan?

aforrester [9:59 AM]
I'm excited for Midwinter to be in Denver! And because of that, we'll be having a Saturday of author visits at my library. We're within walking distance of the Convention Center, so feel free to stop by! https://www.denverlibrary.org/event/meet-and-make-children%27s-authors
denverlibrary.org
Meet and Make with Children’s Authors | Denver Public Library
During this free day-long celebration, award-winning children’s authors will share their bookmaking experiences and lead art and writing activities for kids. Books will be on hand to buy and have signed by the authors courtesy of Tattered Cover Book Store. 10:30am - Picture book author Jillian Tamaki 12:30pm - Chapter book author Jewell Parker Rhodes 2:30pm - Chapter book author Mariko Tamaki and illustrator Brooke Allen 3:30pm - Chapter book author Sayantani DasGupta

dave [9:59 AM]
I'd love to take yoga

aforrester [9:59 AM]
We had a yoga storytime for a while, it was super fun :slightly_smiling_face:

Evan [9:59 AM]
Yes. I'm certified in Kundalina Yoga, and do a simplified version with the kids.

aforrester [9:59 AM]
Alright everyone, thanks so much for a great meeting and for rolling with the punches while I filled in for Cristina.

[10:00]
Feel free to keep chatting, but I've got to run to the front desk

Evan [10:00 AM]
Nice to meet everyone! Excited to see y'all at Midwinter.

lisakimno [10:00 AM]
Thanks so much!

dave [10:00 AM]
You as well, Evan!

aforrester [10:00 AM]
I'll send out notes from the meeting with action items and I'm sure Cristina will follow up too

[10:00]
Hooray for Midwinter! Can't wait!

hmthompson [10:00 AM]
See you all soon!

dave [10:00 AM]
Have a great holiday, everyone

[10:01]
Today is the last day of school here...so you can imagine what school is like!

Evan [10:01 AM]
Thanks for leading the meeting Amy. Everyone have a great holiday!

anewman [10:01 AM]
Happy Holidays!!  See most of you in Denver!

[10:01]
Thanks, Amy!!!

dave [10:04 AM]
left #december2017meeting.

More...
ALCTS Metadata Interest Group

Discussion Metadata Interest Group Agenda - ALA MW 2018 (Denver)

by Liz Woolcott on Tue, Jan 16, 2018 at 05:21 pm

AGENDA  

ALCTS Metadata Interest Group Meeting

ALA Midwinter 2018 (Denver)

Sunday, Feb 11, 2018 | 8:30 am - 10:00 am

Colorado Convention Center, RM 703

 

AGENDA  

ALCTS Metadata Interest Group Meeting

ALA Midwinter 2018 (Denver)

Sunday, Feb 11, 2018 | 8:30 am - 10:00 am

Colorado Convention Center, RM 703

 

Our Scheduler: http://bit.ly/2D5DkH8   

Our Connect Page: http://connect.ala.org/node/65847

 

Welcome - Liz Woolcott, Chair  

 

Program 8:30-9:30

Please note: more program information is available on the Metadata Interest Group blog: http://www.alcts.ala.org/metadatablog/2018/01/metadata-interest-group-meeting-at-ala-midwinter-2018/ 

 

Presentation 1: Developing A Framework for Measuring Reuse of Digital Objects: Project Update at the Metadata Interest Group, ALA Midwinter 2018

Presenter: Ayla Stein, Metadata Librarian, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

 

Presentation 2: National Strategy for Shareable Local Name Authorities

Presenter: Presenter: Chew Chiat Naun, Head, Metadata Creation, Harvard University

 

Business Meeting -- 9:30 - 10:00 am

1. Welcome and introductions of officers

2. Officers report

  • Program Co-Chairs (Darnelle Melvin/Anne Washington)
  • Blog Coordinator (Deb Kulczak)

3. Review minutes from ALA Annual 2017: http://connect.ala.org/files/ALCTS-MIG-2017AC_minutes.pdf

4. Liaison Reports:

  • Music Library Association (MLA) -  Jim Soe Nyun

  • Committee on Cataloging: CC:DA - Jessica Hayden  

  • Others

5. Open discussion for IG members

 

More...
Spectrum & Diversity Scholars Community

Discussion Associate University Librarian, Arizona State University (apply by Feb. 7)

by Briana Jarnagin (staff) on Tue, Jan 16, 2018 at 02:01 pm

Associate University Librarian

 

The ASU Library seeks to appoint an experienced library leader to join a senior leadership team committed to innovation and service in America’s most exciting university environment. Guided by Arizona State University’s charter, we aspire to build a new American university library for a new American University.

 

Associate University Librarian

 

The ASU Library seeks to appoint an experienced library leader to join a senior leadership team committed to innovation and service in America’s most exciting university environment. Guided by Arizona State University’s charter, we aspire to build a new American university library for a new American University.

 

The successful candidate will be a thought leader in information science who is rooted in library culture, forward-thinking, creative, and relentlessly innovative. If there is, as has been said, a library-sized hole in the internet, a barrier to the discovery and use of library materials by faculty and students, this individual will be resourceful and effective at finding ways to fill that hole and make the ASU Library a vital resource to the entire University community, on and beyond our physical campuses. This position will be responsible for working with Library and University colleagues to ensure that all of our users may explore, discover, and use the full range of library resources from wherever they are, whatever they need. Their success is our success.

 

This commitment entails shaping and leading broad teams working in security, systems administration, application and library services platform development, and especially in metadata and discovery. This individual will also be responsible for leading and innovating in our ability to manage our data and manage to data across the organization.

 

The successful candidate will be a team player within and beyond the library, joining a core leadership team, leading ambitious functional units, and partnering with innovative university technologists, faculty, and administrators to make the ASU Library essential in realizing the New American University model.

 

For complete application and qualification requirements, please visit the ASU Library website at: http://lib.asu.edu/Employment/

Application deadline is February 07, 2018; if not filled, applications will be reviewed weekly thereafter until the search is closed.

 

Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the United States.  A background check is required for employment.

ASU is a VEVRAA Federal contractor and an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and actively seeks diversity among applicants and promotes a diverse workforce.

 

More...
RUSA RSS Board (Reference Services Section)

Event RSS Midwinter Board Meeting

by Rebecca Jackson on Tue, Jan 16, 2018 at 01:41 pm

On Adobe Connect.  

To join the meeting, click here: http://ala.adobeconnect.com/r7sghx9xuq9/

 

To dial in:

Participant Code:        92491678#

Dial in: 1-866-718-7314

 

On Adobe Connect.  

To join the meeting, click here: http://ala.adobeconnect.com/r7sghx9xuq9/

 

To dial in:

Participant Code:        92491678#

Dial in: 1-866-718-7314

 

If you have never attended an Adobe Connect meeting before:

 

Test your connection: http://ala.adobeconnect.com/common/help/en/support/meeting_test.htm

 

Get a quick overview: http://www.adobe.com/products/adobeconnect.html

Agenda to follow.

More...
Strategic Planning

Discussion Join the Discussion!

by JoAnne M. Kempf (staff) on Tue, Jan 16, 2018 at 01:33 pm

Over the next six months, members, committees, divisions, round tables, chapters, and affiliates will be working on ALA’s next strategic plan and new strategic directions.  This community has been established so we can share our thinking with you and you can reflect, comment and contribute as we work through the process.  Here we will post relevant documents and updates as we engage in lively conversation about advocacy, information policy and professional and leadership development strategic directions.  We need everyone's voice - so please join the discussion!

Over the next six months, members, committees, divisions, round tables, chapters, and affiliates will be working on ALA’s next strategic plan and new strategic directions.  This community has been established so we can share our thinking with you and you can reflect, comment and contribute as we work through the process.  Here we will post relevant documents and updates as we engage in lively conversation about advocacy, information policy and professional and leadership development strategic directions.  We need everyone's voice - so please join the discussion!

The file folders for this strategic planning community contain key documents for your reference. These include:

  1. Background Documents: An overview of the Planning Process and the 1) advocacy, 2) information policy and 3) professional and leadership development strategic directions
  2. A Planning Forum Discussion Guide with discussion questions for committees, divisions, round tables, interest groups, chapters and affiliates.
  3. The report from the joint ALA-Division Leadership Planning Session in Fall of 2014
  4. Planning Updates (issued from time to time)
  5. Reports from Planning discussions and forums
More...
ASCLA Library Consultant Interest Group

Discussion ASCLA Library Consultants IG Meet at ALA Midwinter

by Lizbeth Bishoff on Tue, Jan 16, 2018 at 12:58 pm

Just want to let you know that Library Consultant IG will meet during ALA Midwinter 2018 on Saturday, January 10, 3:30-5:30, Convention Center, Room 605 during the ASCLA All Committee Meeting.  Currently the IG doesn't have a chair, as Melissa Powell the most recent chair had to step down and no one has volunteered to become chair.  I've told Jeannette Smithee, ASCLA President that I will organize this Midwinter Meeting.  I will post to the listserv information on the meeting and ask for agenda items.  Look forward to seeing you in Denver.

Liz Bishoff

The Bishoff Group

Spectrum & Diversity Scholars Community

Discussion Head of Technical Services, San Diego State University (apply by Feb. 12)

by Briana Jarnagin (staff) on Tue, Jan 16, 2018 at 11:45 am

Head of Technical Services

San Diego State University

San Diego, CA

https://apply.interfolio.com/48296

Head of Technical Services

San Diego State University

San Diego, CA

https://apply.interfolio.com/48296

San Diego State University Library & Information Access seeks applications and nominations of candidates for the position of Head of Technical Services. The successful candidate will be an enthusiastic, collegial, user-focused librarian who will provide dynamic leadership for our newly reorganized technical services departments and our new consortial and local library management system. The Head of Technical Services will provide direction and strategic management for the full spectrum of the technical services provided by the library including: acquisitions, cataloging, classification, physical processing, database and electronic resource maintenance, and processing of government publications. The successful candidate will lead Library Technical Services in new and interesting directions as information organization, discovery, and access tools change and evolve.  This position is appointed at the the Associate Librarian rank.  Salary commensurate with experience.

 

This position will remain open until filled. Review will begin immediately. Preference will be given to applications received by February 12, 2018.

 

Anticipated start date is July 2018.

 

To view a complete job description and instructions for the application procedures, visit:

 

https://apply.interfolio.com/48296

More...
Spectrum & Diversity Scholars Community

Discussion Resource Sharing/Reference Librarian, Fort Lewis College (CO) (apply by Feb. 15 for full consideration)

by Briana Jarnagin (staff) on Tue, Jan 16, 2018 at 11:21 am

Resource Sharing/Reference Librarian

https://www.fortlewis.edu/Portals/71/Resource%20Sharing_Reference%20Libr...

 

The Resource Sharing / Reference Librarian is a full-time, 12-month, exempt staff position reporting to the Library Director. Minimum qualifications: MLS/MLIS degree from an ALA accredited institution and requisite skills and experience to perform duties.

Resource Sharing/Reference Librarian

https://www.fortlewis.edu/Portals/71/Resource%20Sharing_Reference%20Libr...

 

The Resource Sharing / Reference Librarian is a full-time, 12-month, exempt staff position reporting to the Library Director. Minimum qualifications: MLS/MLIS degree from an ALA accredited institution and requisite skills and experience to perform duties.

Minimum Qualifications • ALA accredited master's degree in library or information science • Demonstrated ability to work independently and accurately, managing workflow and projects and those of subordinates • Demonstrated ability to work as part of a team, including active participation • Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communications skills • Demonstrated organizational, critical thinking, and problem solving skills

Preferred Qualifications • Experience with ILLiad and interlibrary loan • Experience offering library reference in an academic library • Experience working on or supervising digital projects • Experience delivering information literacy instruction in an academic environment • Experience with collection management and developement • Experience supervising student and staff employees

More...
Spectrum & Diversity Scholars Community

Discussion Librarian (Collections and Online Learning), Chabot College (CA) (apply by Feb. 12)

by Briana Jarnagin (staff) on Tue, Jan 16, 2018 at 11:18 am

Librarian (Collections and Online Learning)

https://clpccd.peopleadmin.com/postings/1033

Librarian (Collections and Online Learning)

https://clpccd.peopleadmin.com/postings/1033

Job Title Librarian (Collections and Online Learning)
Position Type Faculty
Tenure Information Tenure Track
Position Code 2FLR01
FTE 1
Pay Rate (or Annual Salary) $62,035 - $88,687/annual
FLSA Exempt
Job Location Chabot College, 25555 Hesperian Blvd., Hayward, CA 94545
Department Library
Job Summary

The Chabot-Las Positas Community College District is seeking a Librarian (Collections and Online Learning) for Chabot College in Hayward, California.

This position reports directly to the Division Dean.

Representative Duties

1. With consultation of other faculty librarians, provide leadership in selecting and deselecting print materials, DVD’s, and eBooks.

2. A forward-thinking and strategic perspective on new and emerging trends in collection development, crafting an innovative approach to the library’s collections that is both student-centered and responsive to Chabot College curriculum, learning communities, and institutional learning outcomes.

3. Select materials that reflect the information literacy and research needs of diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students.

4. Design and maintain online tutorials in the Library website including the use of Captivate or Camtasia, the Libguides content management system, and has knowledge of online learning modules software and tools such as Searchpath, Credo InfoLit Modules and/or Libwizard.

5. With respect to further enhance the online learning and user experience of our students, provides input in maintaining and improving the Library web site and related library web services, including regularly evaluating new library tutorials, information literacy gaming and other tools and products

6. Undertake quantitative and qualitative assessment to improve collections in support of the College’s priorities.

7. Use data for the development of and to document the value of the collections.

8. Analyze and report data regarding collection growth, usage, material costs, expenditures, etc. to inform budgetary collection decisions.

9. Develop online curriculum and teach a Library Skills course online using Canvas (college platform).

10. In collaboration with the library team, ensure that library procedures and policies are followed consistently.

11. Act as key member of the library team in developing, coordinating, implementing and evaluating the library’s programs and services.

12. Provide reference services in a multimedia environment to students, staff and faculty.

13. Provide library outreach activities to the college community, especially to online faculty and students.

14. Teach effective information competency research strategies, including information literacy courses.

15. Act as a library liaison to at least one instructional division.

16. Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.

17. Participate in campus and district professional activities, which may include but are not limited to Curriculum committee, staff development, and collegial meetings.

18. Work or teach late afternoon, evening, distance learning and/or off campus classes when scheduled as part of the regular librarian assignment.

19. Participate in on-going assessment of library programs including program review, strategic planning, and the development and implementation of new services, systems, and programs.

20. Evidence of sensitivity to and an understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students, including those with physical and learning disabilities.

Minimum Education and Experience

Master’s in library science, library and information science,

OR the equivalent.

You will be required to upload your transcripts. You must upload all applicable transcripts, credentials and/or certificates required to meet minimum qualifications for the position for which you are applying. Any degrees earned outside the United States must have an official US evaluation (course by course) of the transcripts and must be submitted with the application. In the case that the file you are uploading is too large or you do not have your transcripts readily available, please upload a document in place of stating you will be sending the documents to the Office of Human Resources, 7600 Dublin Boulevard, 3rd Floor, Dublin, CA 94568, or by fax (925) 485-5254, by 5:00 p.m. (PST) on the closing date.

*Degrees in Progress: To be conferred on or before July 1, 2018 will be considered, provided that the applicant also submits (1) an up-to-date transcript, (2) a photocopy of the degree requirement from the school catalog, and (3) proof of current course(s) and enrollment. Please provide your explanation and background material by using the optional document upload called “Other Document”. If you are unable to upload the above, please upload a document in its place and state you will be sending the documents to the Office of Human Resources, 7600 Dublin Boulevard, 3rd Floor, Dublin, CA 94568, by 5:00 p.m. (PST) on the closing date.

Applicants applying under the “Equivalent provision” must provide details that explain at time of application how their academic preparation is the equivalent of the degree listed above. Please provide your explanation by using the optional document upload called “Equivalency Statement”.

Minimum Qualifications  
Desirable Qualifications

1. Knowledge of assessment tools, software, and processes relevant to academic library services, collection development, online education and online learning objects.

2. Experience providing information competency instruction in a community college library.

3. Experience providing reference services in an academic library setting.

4. Knowledge of HTML 4 and 5, CSSPHP, Libguides, API’s, JavaScript, BootStrap and other similar web programming languages and platforms.

5. Evidence of ability to work effectively as the leader in collection development including the incorporation of recommendation and discussions of standards of selection from other faculty librarians and faculty at large.

6. Knowledge and understanding of collection development policies for a community college library that first and foremost provides curriculum support for necessary research in its various disciplines.

7. Knowledge of various acquisition and collection development tools such as EBSCOhost Collection Manager, Midwest, GOBI, and the acquisitions components of Worldshare Management System.

8. Experience teaching online courses with a Learning Management System such as Canvas.

9. Experience working with tutorial software such as Captivate, Camtasia, or Jing.

10. Experience working with course module software such as Searchpath, Credo InfoLit Modules, or LibWizard.

11. Experience measuring and evaluating User Experience, including providing effective usability tests of web sites and/or platforms.

12. Knowledge of gaming information literacy software and techniques used in library tutorials.

13. Knowledge of Web Accessibility standards including WCAG 2.0 AA standards. Understanding of necessary accessibility requirements for audiovisual materials such as DVD’s.

14. Knowledge of working with and modifying content management systems such as Libguides and Omni Update.

15. Experience providing innovative and creative leadership in the development of library programs and services.

16. Experience in outreach activities for students and faculty.

Job Work Schedule

This position is full-time, tenure track, beginning Fall 2018. Employment will begin on or about August 16, 2018.

Physical Demands and Working Environment

INDIVIDUALS WITH DISABILITIES WHO ARE UNABLE TO CARRY OUT THE PHYSICAL ACTIVITIES OF THE POSITION WILL RECEIVE REASONABLE ACCOMMODATIONSTO ENABLE THEM TO PERFORM THE ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE POSITION.

Posting Detail Information

 

Posting Number F37P
Open Date 01/12/2018
Close Date 02/12/2018
Open Until Filled No
Special Instructions to Applicants  
Notification to Applicants

The Chabot-Las Positas Community College District reserves the right to close or not fill any advertised position.

Instructions for Personal Qualifications Statement

The purpose of the personal qualifications statement is for you to provide information on how your education and experience relate to the requirements and duties of the position. There is no form to complete. Applicants are requested to provide their personal qualifications statement by uploading a document, the same way as you do for your cover letter.

Supplemental Questions

Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).

  1. * Please write an essay of up to 250 words how you would plan a series of online tutorials and how you would evaluate them to determine if they provided effective instruction that addresses community college students' research needs.

    (Open Ended Question)

Documents Needed To Apply

Required Documents

  1. Resume
  2. Cover Letter
  3. Transcripts/Credentials
  4. Personal Qualifications Statement

Optional Documents

  1. Other Document
  2. Equivalency Statement
More...
ACRL Communities of Practice Assembly

Discussion 2018 ALA Midwinter Meeting-Onsite Audio Visual & Meeting Room Information

by Elois Sharpe (staff) on Tue, Jan 16, 2018 at 11:11 am

Dear ACRL CoPA Leaders,

Happy New Year!

As we draw closer to meeting at the 2018 ALA Midwinter Meeting in Denver, please review and share the following pertinent information with your member leaders who will be onsite. 

Dear ACRL CoPA Leaders,

Happy New Year!

As we draw closer to meeting at the 2018 ALA Midwinter Meeting in Denver, please review and share the following pertinent information with your member leaders who will be onsite. 

Onsite Audio Visual & Meeting Room Information
ALA Conference Services recommends confirming your AV request at the audiovisual desk located in the ALA office area – Four Seasons Ballroom 1-2, in the Colorado Convention Center (CCC). If you requested AV during the meeting request time frame and were NOT contacted, it should be considered an approved request. If you requested a skype kit for your blended meeting, skype kits will be delivered to the meeting room 30 minutes before the start of the meeting.

If you arrive to your session and it is missing the AV equipment that was requested and approved in advance, please contact ALA Conference Services at 303-228-8450. Unless you report missing AV, ALA will be charged for ordered materials even if they are not present.

Also, please use the ALA Conference Services number if you experience any meeting related issues in your room that would require immediate assistance.

Room Set-up Information
Please note that members are prohibited from making room set changes in the Convention Center and the hotel meeting rooms. ALA Conference Services has set the rooms to accommodate all groups that will use that space during the day, not a single group. If a room is missing any requested items or A/V, then please use the number above and let ALA Conference Services know.

After the conference, please notify your staff liaison of any issues with AV or the room set-up.  The reports will be compiled and sent to ALA Conference Services. 

Thank you in advance for your attention to and cooperation in this matter.

Have a safe trip,

Elois
ACRL Program Coordinator

More...

Pages