Warning message

The launch of the new ALA Connect, scheduled for April 25, 2018, has been delayed due to technical issues. During final testing some critical issues related to navigation, tagging, and the structure of parent-child relationships were discovered.

The vendor is working to resolve these issues. We apologize for the delay and thank you for your patience.

While we're waiting to get started, please check out the resources and training on the support site. We'll keep you updated, in particular, we will communicate when we have a firm launch date.

If you have questions, please feel free to contact Pam Akins, Community Engagement Specialist, at alaconnectmigration@ala.org.

Latest From All Groups

View:   Faces | List | By Group
RUSA BRASS Executive Committee (Business Reference and Services Section)

Discussion BRASS Executive Meeting

by Greg Fleming on Wed, Mar 21, 2018 at 04:28 pm

The meeting will take place online on Tuesday, March 27.

Spectrum & Diversity Scholars Community

Discussion Nominations Needed - Illinois Library Association Awards

by Anjelica Rufus-Barnes on Wed, Mar 21, 2018 at 03:58 pm

Do you or someone you know work at a library in Illinois and have done something cool or extraordinary? Nominate yourself or them for an Illinois Library Association (ILA) Award.

Do you or someone you know work at a library in Illinois and have done something cool or extraordinary? Nominate yourself or them for an Illinois Library Association (ILA) Award.


The ILA Awards recognize excellence in librarianship and library service in Illinois. The 17 awards showcase the awesomeness of the recipients and inform our colleagues about innovative programs and ideas that hard-working librarians, staff, and trustees throughout the state have created. Inspiration and good ideas should be shared!

Award nominations are due by May 15, 2018. Please visit https://www.ila.org/about/awards to learn about the awards and to submit a nomination.

More...
ALA Recruitment Assembly

Discussion Notes from November 2017 conference call

by Miranda Bennett on Wed, Mar 21, 2018 at 03:45 pm

Notes from the November 6, 2017, joint conference call of the Recruitment Assembly and HRDR Advisory Committee are now available.

ALA Constitution and Bylaws Committee

Discussion Final version of C&B Midwinter 2018 report

by James Rettig on Wed, Mar 21, 2018 at 02:42 pm

C&B Committee members,

Our committee report for Midwinter 2018 is attached.

I have sent this to the ALA Council.

ALA Council

Discussion ALA Constitution & Bylaws Committee Report--Midwinter 2018

by James Rettig on Wed, Mar 21, 2018 at 02:32 pm

Council members,

Attached is the report of the ALA Constitution and Bylaws Committee from its meeting at the 2018 Midwinter Meeting in Denver.

It has taken a while to assure the accuracy of the information in the appended table listing Executive Board members from 1995 on.  It has been through several revisions.  In her role as Director of ALA Governance JoAnne Kempf has provided her invaluable expertise in this effort.

The members of the C&B Committee have had an opportunity to review this before its distribution to Council at this time.

ALA Council

Discussion ALA Constitution & Bylaws Committee Report--Midwinter 2018

by James Rettig on Wed, Mar 21, 2018 at 02:32 pm

Council members,

Attached is the report of the ALA Constitution and Bylaws Committee from its meeting at the 2018 Midwinter Meeting in Denver.

It has taken a while to assure the accuracy of the information in the appended table listing Executive Board members from 1995 on.  It has been through several revisions.  In her role as Director of ALA Governance JoAnne Kempf has provided her invaluable expertise in this effort.

The members of the C&B Committee have had an opportunity to review this before its distribution to Council at this time.

2018 LITA Forum Planning Committee

Online Doc 20 February 2018 - Meeting Agenda & Notes

by Joanna Kimmitt on Wed, Mar 21, 2018 at 01:45 pm

Meeting Agenda & Notes February 20, 2018

Meeting Agenda & Notes February 20, 2018

In attendance: Melody Condron, Joanna Kimmitt, Cody Hanson, Katherine Boden, Becky Yoose, Ranti Junus, Jason Battles, Helen Look, Mark Beatty, Galen Charlton

 

Housekeeping

  • Minute-keeper: Joanna
  • Review minutes from last meeting, below. Any corrections?

 Homework from last meeting:

  • Any additional suggestions for keynote speakers requested by Friday, 1/19; add them directly to the spreadsheet (DONE)
  • Many thanks to everyone for returning comments and 1st/2nd/3rd choices to Melody.
  • Following week, committee members should supply their top three picks for keynoters to Melody macondron@uh.edu by 1/26. (DONE-thank you!)

 ALA Midwinter information/discussion

  • We met briefly for informal discussion
  • ACTION ITEM: need to move monthly minutes to Connect after meetings (Joanna)
    • Joanna will add as their own documents to ALA Connect going forward
  • ACTION ITEM: UX Team should connect with LITA Membership Committee to discuss ideas and collaboration
    • Contact with Jacob Ineichen (chair of Membership) - Becky is already connected, and they were waiting for a location to be solidified.
  • ACTION ITEM: Program Team should connect with Education and Publication Committees to discuss ideas for collaboration
    • People working in education and putting out great publications that are working with events for Education and Publication Committees? Connect to Program Team! If people are presenting well at LITA Forum, connect to Education and Publication Committees for future programming/ITAL articles.
  • Price Change discussion & vote was held at Board Meeting - Mark update
    • Suggested price change - shared feedback and input from committee discussion; board was voting on this.
    • Modified registration fee schedule was passed at the Board meeting at Midwinter
    • Overall costs:
      • Equalizes payment schedule
      • $430 LITA members; $560 ALA members; $645 non-member category
      • Reduction in price for early birds
      • Students $180
      • Preconferences remain similar
      • Speakers & committee members $350
      • Document on ALA Connect
      • Includes more meals; increases appeal for early bird
    • More feedback for Board and staff beyond fall discussion from this committee?
      • Galen sharing information on C4L18: “Side note from Code4Lib 2018 post-conference wrapup discussions - registration fee for the 2018 conference was highest yet - $350 for conference proper plus $60 for attending the preconference workshop day.... and, a bit contrary to expectations, folks were not as price-sensitive as we expected. Code4Lib 2018 was the largest annual conference yet” - raised fee by $75

Hotel/Location RFP Update - Mark?

  • Still don’t have a location set. Jenny will share information ASAP. New language was added per ALA to the contract and returned to the vendor. Hoping for signatures within the next couple of days.
  • Not much to share at this time.
  • This is another reason for repeating location and hotel, making reservations 1-2 years in advance. LITA Office is working with a specific city for a bid for 2020. May be looking at a different for 2019 to give it another chance; this is with Jenny at this time.

Jenny Levine’s Email from 2/20

  • Catering & Food Pricing Discussion
  • Feedback from all: is the conference worthwhile for the mealtime experience?
    • Some feedback for lunches: please keep for networking and conversations
    • Denver had free breakfast because we were staying in the hotel; large price difference between paying for the breakfast and having it provided identically to the main hotel breakfast.
    • Denver (2 half-days, 1 full day in-between): Breakfasts, 1 lunch, reception, coffee/snack breaks morning and afternoon
    • MN (2 full days): 1 evening reception (may be less well-attended), 2 breakfasts, 2 coffee/snack breaks morning and afternoon, 2 lunches
    • Catering group did a combination lunch/PM break package that allowed for the all-day coffee on the full day of the conference; paying for standalone all-day coffee is a budget buster
  • Pros and Cons to changes
    • C4L18 didn’t have breakfast this year; folks missed having the coffee/tea service especially. If we drop breakfast, having coffee/tea service would be preferred. (Becky)
    • Lunch: an idea would be to get a group of food trucks and negotiate to have a ticketing system; 1-2 tickets per person to redeem for part of a meal. Would the hotel allow it? Could we put together a group of trucks that meet dietary restrictions? May not be cheaper than getting lunch catered at the hotel, depends on the hotel’s agreement. (Becky)
    • Much other discussion; summarized below.
  • ACTION ITEM: UX Team will take on for working out details for food trucks, seating, pricing, etc. First, will the hotel allow this in the first place?
  • Food truck website: http://www.mnfoodtruckassociation.org (Cody, thanks!)
  • Dinners: usually networking dinners arranged organically. This practice is working well.
  • 2 Breakfasts & Thursday night reception: feedback
    • Money spent on food at conferences is personally money that could be spent elsewhere. Spending on alcohol gets pricey as well, and having an event without alcohol service could be more inclusive. (Galen)
    • Change to a different Thursday night social event
    • Games, movies, hackathon, quiz bowl, partner with a local organization to put on a memorable event - what makes sense?
    • Could we remove the mid-morning snack break but make sure that there are some breakfast items that people can grab and go to hold on to for a mid-morning snack? (Helen)
    • This isn’t an immediate concern.
    • Set aside some of the savings to cover real-time captioning for keynotes and other events. (Cody can find out what local services will charge for one room, full-day, certain events)
    • ACTION ITEM: Consider and provide feedback for next meeting.

 Keynote Speaker Ideas

  • Thank you for your feedback. The top 5 responses were reviewed.
  • Notes from last time (for context): Keynote compensation/travel reimbursement: Jenny negotiates with the individuals. Paid travel, overnight expenses and hotel, small honorarium in the neighborhood of $500-1000. Some speakers will come for free because it supports their mission, have a grant support, cannot accept a fee, etc. Highly variable! In the past, the group approaches to find out if speakers are interested, and pass along to Jenny to finalize.
  • Next steps for keynotes
    • Waiting on location finalization to move this forward.

Documentation Update - Joanna

  • Need to move Google Folder to LITA-controlled location
  • ACTION ITEM: Joanna will coordinate with Melody and the LITA Office to move folder and other documentation to the LITA Office.
  • If you have other documentation hiding in your personal Drive, please transfer ownership to the group folder.

Roll Call for Sub-Committees

  • Accessibility - Ranti - no new action
  • Assessment - Helen & Emily -  
    • Established regular meeting time. Two members resigned because of other commitments and/or they do not want to join LITA.
  • Local Arrangement (not assigned yet) -
    • waiting on RFP & location confirmation
  • Marketing & Web - Katherine -
    • Will draft ideas around the Minneapolis location. Has access to the WordPress site from Mark.
  • Programming - Jason -
    • Out of the country. RFP in progress & coming soon!
    • Looking for suggestions for vetting programs for quality of presentation, program proposal qualities, etc. One idea would be asking for presentation slides ahead of time or sharing examples from previous presentations.
  • Sponsorship - Galen
    • Tabby Farney from last year will be on this team.
    • Compiling list of potential sponsors in Minneapolis area
  • Streaming/Recording - Cody -
    • Twiddling thumbs until location locked in. [melody says: Ha! Yes all waiting :P]
    • Will be reaching out to Ranti and Accessibility for collaboration
  • Conference UX - Becky  
    • Needing to pass on some of the conversation we had today to our humble subcommittee :-)
    • Food truck idea
    • Reception alternatives, including off-site larger events
    • Feedback from Melody - keep the Thursday night event on-site to get connection to the conference for folks just arriving to the location per feedback from Andromeda
    • Food/drink availability throughout conference site
    • (from some time ago - conference zines idea)
    • Get back in touch with LITA membership committee to start getting planning going for UX/Membership collaboration
      • Potential to collaborate for opening session for welcoming attendees to Forum with Membership. Hit the highlights and point out some of the changes.

 Homework:

  • ACTION ITEM: Looking for volunteers to chair or participate on 2019’s Forum Planning Committee;  if you're interested, email Melody
  • ACTION ITEM: think about food & catering issues to discuss on list-serv

 Other Business?

More...
2018 LITA Forum Planning Committee

Online Doc 17 January 2018 - Meeting Agenda & Notes

by Joanna Kimmitt on Wed, Mar 21, 2018 at 01:32 pm

Meeting Agenda & Notes January 17, 2018

Meeting Agenda & Notes January 17, 2018

In attendance: Melody Condron, Jason Griffey, Katherine Boden, Ranti junus, Cody Hanson, Galen Charlton, Mark Beatty, Helen Look, Jason Battles

 

Housekeeping

  • Need minute-taker, Joanna out
    • Galen will take notes
  • Review minutes from last meeting, below. Any corrections?

Welcome to 2018

  • Marketing & Web can take over website now
    • Per Mark, 2017 website will need to be preserved but can be turned over thereafter. Will coordinate with Katherine
  • ALAMW - plan to attend live meeting at 10:30am Saturday if you can. (CCC room 605/607)
    • Melody would like to meet with all Chairs who are attending individually if possible. Please add your name below and I will contact you.
    • Attending ALAMW in Denver:
      • Galen Charlton, Jason Battles, Helen Look, Mark Beatty, Ranti Junus
  • Should plan regular meetings with your team to move forward on your plans at this point
  • Working theme in where needed: Building & Leading

Hotel/Location RFP Update

  • Mark checked out location; positive discussion during his trip.
  • Jenny is in negotiations with hotel; contract expected in the next week or so
  • Hoping to be able to announce location by Midwinter, assuming contract is finalized by then
  • If held in this location, dates would be 8-10 November

Price Change Update 2018  http://connect.ala.org/node/270944

  • Will be on the LITA Board agenda at Midwinter; let Jenny know if you have additional feedback

Keynote Speaker Ideas

  • Brainstorm list of possibilities in internal document
  • 11 names suggested so far;
  • ACTION ITEM: Any additional suggestions requested by Friday, 1/19; following week,
  • ACTION ITEM: committee members should supply their top three picks to macondron@uh.edu Melody by 1/26.
  • Notes from last time (for context): Keynote compensation/travel reimbursement: Jenny negotiates with the individuals. Paid travel, overnight expenses and hotel, small honorarium in the neighborhood of $500-1000. Some speakers will come for free because it supports their mission, have a grant support, cannot accept a fee, etc. Highly variable! In the past, the group approaches to find out if speakers are interested, and pass along to Jenny to finalize.
  • Emphases: diversity in speakers, following/supporting the theme ”Building & Leading”/tone for the overall conference.

 Documentation Update - Joanna

  • TABLED
  • Looking for volunteers to chair the following year's Forum Planning Committee;
  • ACTION ITEM if you're interested, email Melody

 Roll Call for Sub-Committees

  • Accessibility - Ranti - no new report. Waiting for final confirmation of the location to aid the research for accessibility support/services.
    • Per Mark, hotel will do gender-neutral bathrooms
    • Per Mark, not aware of any negative feedback regarding the accessibility of that hotel
  • Assessment - Helen & Emily -  
    • Not much to report
    • Had informal meeting with Ken Varnum and Rachel Vacek
  • Local Arrangement (not assigned yet) - waiting on RFP & location confirmation
  • Marketing & Web - Katherine - No major updates in December.
    • The holidays and illness stalled progress, but I’ll be getting my team ready for our first advertising push in the next couple weeks. Once a date and location have been chosen we’ll do an initial Save the Date on the website and e-blasts.
    • The rest of January and February will be spent setting up all our marketing sources (website, Wiki, eblasts, social media) and developing our content and message so we can start major marketing in March, April, and over the summer.
    • My big goal is to create some amazing visuals (infographic and video) that can serve as invitations once we have the programming finalized.
    • I’m also working on trying to set up some cross promotion at PLA, ACRL, and ALA Annual.
    • Another thing we’re keeping in mind is coordinating with the Programming Committee on potential webinars or slideshares on best practices for presenting.
  • Programming - Jason -
    • We are having a discussion/workshopping session now on the CFP (started email thread last week). I’m breaking my team up and assigning responsibilities this week, with a couple of people working the CFP, myself and one other working on scheduling/slotting/rough schedule for day-to-day programs, and then a couple of people working on the issue of how to evaluate for presenter quality without losing anonymity/ or introducing bias.
  • Sponsorship - Galen
    • Question: do you have additional people working with you? Please add them to the committee list
      • Not at present; will be tapping some folks in person at Midwinter
    • ACTION ITEM: Galen will ask Tabatha Farney (Tabby)
    • February will be my big push; deliverables to include a list of potential national sponsors and document on prospectus ideas for review during Midwinter
    • Would also like guidance on IT and library-adjacent firms that might be open to being one-shot sponsors
    • 2015 sponsors: https://web.archive.org/web/20160201155257/http://litaforum.org/sponsors
  • Streaming/Recording - Cody -
  • Waiting for confirmation on location
  • Conference UX - Becky - No updates. Holding pattern until location confirmation.

Homework:

  • Any additional suggestions for keynote speakers requested by Friday, 1/19; add them directly to the spreadsheet
  • Following week, committee members should supply their top three picks for keynoters to Melody macondron@uh.edu by 1/26.
  • Looking for volunteers to chair the following year's Forum Planning Committee;  ACTION ITEM if you're interested, email Melody

 Other Business?

More...
2018 LITA Forum Planning Committee

Online Doc 29 November 2017 - Meeting Agenda & Notes

by Joanna Kimmitt on Wed, Mar 21, 2018 at 01:00 pm

Meeting Agenda & Notes November 29, 2017

Meeting Agenda & Notes November 29, 2017

In attendance: Melody Condron, Jason Battles, Becky Yoose, Katherine Boden, Joanna Kimmitt, Cody Hanson, Jason Griffey, Mark Beatty, Galen Charlton, Ranti Junus

 

Housekeeping

  • Review minutes from last meeting, below. Any corrections?
    • Place any comments in the document if you do have something to add.
  • As people are added to your subcommittee please add them to the committee member list (internal document).

Review/feedback on Forum 2017 in Denver

  • Reviewed information from the feedback meeting.
  • Melody will email list of feedback items that is specific to each team’s responsibilities.
    • Up to each team to prioritize and make decisions about action items from Forum 2017 feedback.

Theme Discussion

  • Decision: Building & Leading!

Keynote Speaker Ideas

  • New internal document for brainstorming ideas presented
  • Please add your proposed persons/topics to this list for discussion at our next meeting to determine top 3-5.
  • Keynote compensation/travel reimbursement: Jenny negotiates with the individuals. Paid travel, overnight expenses and hotel, small honorarium in the neighborhood of $500-1000. Some speakers will come for free because it supports their mission, have a grant support, cannot accept a fee, etc. Highly variable!
  • In the past, the group approaches to find out if speakers are interested, and pass along to Jenny to finalize.
  • Emphases: diversity in speakers, following/supporting the theme/tone for the overall conference.
  • Melody will send a reminder in a couple of weeks to follow up with potential keynote speakers.

Discussion/response to possible price change for Forum: http://connect.ala.org/node/270944

  • Some discussion already taking place in the Forum 18 listserv
  • Galen - General decline in sponsorship revenue is apparent for us as well as DLF. While we might look to increase sponsorship in the future, we shouldn’t count on it to close the gap. One area we might investigate further is soliciting more for scholarships for attendees. Establishing a fund for folks who work at institutions that do not support travel or professional development could also be an option. Other adjustments to catering could be sources for cutting down on expenses.
  • Melody - sponsorship opportunities for travel for public or special librarians or others who do not receive travel funding. Long-term changes around catering, etc. - this is a structural conversation that likely lies outside the scope of this particular team, though our feedback and ideas are important on this topic! Galen is in charge of sponsorship efforts - feedback here is to consider a number of smaller sponsorships for scholarship assistance.
  • Katherine - if the increase is approved, it will be important for the Assessment team to factor that into conference evaluations.
  • Jason B - noted that non-ALA/LITA members were commenting about the expense of the conference. Giving a break on the early bird rates for this group could encourage their attendance.
  • Melody - lunch on Saturday may or may not make a difference on the conference costs. Concerns from Jenny: making it back on time, eating alone and missing out on social engagement
  • Cody - wait until we have location and feedback from Local Arrangements about lunch options outside the hotel to make this kind of decision. +1 from Becky
  • Becky - food from conference may be a wash on expenses for attendees (wrap into the conference fee or pay on one’s own).
  • Melody - changes from year to year are important to establish for folks’ expectations - what can people expect for coverage?
  • Mark - time schedule/timetable implications as well.
  • Tabled until next meeting.

 

Documentation

  • Joanna will be taking the lead on this.
  • Please keep track of your documents, timeline, etc. for handing off to next year’s team.
  • Not only changing things for next year but creating a model for the future.
  • If you have feedback on specific tools, please weigh in, especially wiki modules that work with our LITA documentation site’s WordPress theme.

Assessment Committee Changes

  • In Progress
  • Jackie has moved on to a position outside libraries and sadly has resigned from our committee.
  • Melody is working on contacts to see if she can link up co-chairs.
  • Joanna will help to keep it moving forward in the meantime.

RFP Update

  • Hotel RFP has been out for a few weeks and so far there is one viable response.
  • Jenny may be doing a site visit next month (December). Stay tuned!

Roll Call for Sub-Committees

  • Accessibility - Ranti -
    • Divided works between the members. We’re waiting for the official location in order to aid the work to find suitable accessibility service providers (location, cost, etc.)
    • Has time line, but will need to adjust due to not knowing the location yet
    • Will need to discuss with Cody re. Video streaming needs
    • Plan to document our work process to be handed to the next Forum committee (and probably to be reviewed by UX and Assessment teams)
    • Would probably need Jenny (for her hotel visit) to keep an eye on potential accessibility barriers
    • Have a wish list for Galen for potential sponsorships - please CC Melody
    • Plan to develop accessibility documentation for presenters to be shared with Jason Griffey (and shared with presenters) - review last year’s presentation (Amanda Goodman) - Mark still has slide set from Forum 2017 - https://drive.google.com/open?id=1gs261hJVTZfasEEnPqTK8dnZaTek2PEkJuKm-59rJYk
  • Assessment - Sub-chair Needed -
    • in progress to replace; Joanna taking point until we get to the next step
  • Local Arrangement (not assigned yet) - waiting on RFP
  • Marketing & Web - Katherine -
    • Now that we have a theme, my team will start putting together visuals and Save the Date options for communicating our new vision. I am also going to be contacting people who went to Forum 2017 and posted great quotes on Twitter. I’m going to check if we can use any of those quotes. I do have one random question, will LITA have tables at ALA and PLA? I would love to hand out marketing materials there. I’m going to PLA so I’ll try to contact their leadership and see if I can do anything. Joanna provided contacts to Membership Development (Jacob Iniechen and Robert Wilson) to set up some cross-promotion at Midwinter and Annual.
  • Programming - Jason -
    • Would love some guidance from previous timelines re: CFP, acceptances, etc. We may change it somewhat, but need to have some targets to consider
    • Are we expected to use the ALA proposal tool? If so, can I get access to see how it works/how flexible it is for our purposes? - Mark: not at this time. Suggest using our current Google Form method. Jason: contact Mark to get more information. Google Sheet is easy to auto-load into our WordPress site.
    • Programming will be kicking into gear solidly in January.
    • Looking at some local potential invited presentations.
    • Evaluating quality of presentation, not just quality of content; identify folks who are particularly good at presenting as well as the content itself
    • Hands-on session track - need to make decisions fast for adequate prep time for those presenters
    • Mark - would like to have an announcement of schedule/programs at Annual if at all possible.
    • Melody - feedback on website schedule format this year was that it was less user-friendly; putting in a pin to discuss UX later on in this process.
  • Sponsorship - Galen
    • Feedback received from past sponsorship chair (Taby)
    • Working on sponsorship documentation
    • One particular avenue of investigation: identifying connected people who can act as fundraisers
  • Streaming/Recording - Cody -
    • No substantive updates to report
  • Conference UX - Becky -
    • No major updates for today

Homework:

  • Melody will be emailing individual subcommittees with feedback from Forum 2017 for your review and potential action.
  • All: please add potential keynote speakers to the Google Doc.
  • Start on documentation - please send to Joanna (joanna.messer@gmail.com) - also share with Joanna if you have a Google Doc.

Other Business?

More...

Pages